Tuesday, April 28, 2009

blazinnnnnn...

Evidently the recent weather in the DC metro area has decided to give us a preview of what working out in the middle of July is going to be like. On Saturday a few us did a 1200 time trial at the AU track. It was definitely in the 80's during the workout which is considerably warmer than it has been. The plan was to hit 3:07-3:09 (basically 62.5 for the quarters). We came through the first 400 at 60, Slicko then took the lead to try and calm it down but relaxed a little too much and we hit 66 (still through the 800 in 2:06 so not too bad), we closed in 59 high for a 3:06. Felt pretty smooth the whole way even though the pace was a little erratic. We did 6 by 200 in 30 afterwards and called it a day.

Slicko and I came back Sunday to make sure Pacers got represented in the GW Parkway 5k. Weather was in the upper 80's. I actually felt pretty decent considered we had time trialed the day before and I had only got 3 hours of sleep that night (thanks Jimmy). I planned on treating it like a cut down because I didn't expect much competition. Slicko and I sat on some guys for the first 400-800m (hard to tell in a road race), and then I decided to break from the pack because we were crawlllling. First mile in 5:25, 2nd in 5:13, last one was sub 5, Slicko put a little push in there and came across the line first. Ran quite a bit afterwards and then worked the store for the rest of the day.

Today (Tuesday), showed up to the track and it was about 90 degrees. Didn't know what I was going to do (shocker I know) but heard from the AU guys that the plan was 2 by 400 followed by 4 by 200. I figured we would be doing something like that because the AU guys have conference this weekend. Coach must have been in a good mood today because he looked at the guys I was working out with and said, "Mark, this looks like a good group for you to be leading the whole thing." So, we set off and hit 62.5 for the first and 63.5 for the second. Everyone else goes off to do 200's but Coach just tells me to keep doing 400's. At this point I know better than to ask how many. I then proceed to pick it up a little bit and hit 60 point and then 59 point. After five of them coach asks me what I'm hitting and tells me to slow down. I hit the next one in 64, a little too slow. I finally hit the last one in 62 right on pace. I then do 3 laps jog and come back for 200's. I hit the first one a little fast in 28. I calm down and hit the following 4 in anywhere from 30.3 to 29.2. After five Coach asks me if they feel easy. This is sort of dangerous ground because you never really know what you should say, I ended up saying I felt comfortable. Coach then says that he wants to see me do a 300 at the same sort of pace. I take off into the wind a little bit and just try to stay smooth. Come through the line at 42.5. Coach seemed really happy with the workout.

Three good efforts in four days. I'm definitely getting better but it was funny today, I never got that excited that I was doing well. I could have some of the greatest workouts ever, but until I do something in a race it doesn't really mean all that much. The good thing that the workouts are giving me is some confidence to get out there and race all out. I swear I've been on a roller coaster this last month, one minute I'm up and the next I'm freakin' out or bummed about something. The one thing I'm trying to keep constant is my training. I figure if I can at least control that then I have a shot at figuring everything else out.

The song below is what was going through my head during the workout....

No comments:

Post a Comment