So I started a blog...and I'm definitely not the type of guy who would normally do this. But Chris Farley, the face of Pacers, a "World Class Silly", and as an added bonus, my boss, has this interesting blog and it clearly isn't getting enough followers..yet.
Its also another opportunity to keep myself accountable for my running. I hadn't really planned on trying to run competitively after a less than stellar career at D1 George Washington University. But after I graduated I ended up staying on to work at Pacers Running Stores, where I had worked during college. Working in a running store kind of requires you to at least be running a couple times a week. Well I figured if I was going to be running I might as well starting training for something, so I started to slowly start running with the Pacers Elite guys.
I did that through the whole summer and by the end of it I was starting to round in to shape. I did a workout with the guys from GW at the end of summer and killed it. It had previously been a workout I might have had some trouble with but I just cruised the whole thing. Ran 10 by 800 starting around 2:30 and ending around 2:16. Not an incredible workout but it was more about how relaxed I felt doing it. However, this was the beginning of a long stretch of being injured/sick.
I went through 3 and 1/2 months of going in and out of hospitals, three different types of antibiotics and shots were involved. Still don't know what I had but the lasting part has been the feeling of tightness in my lower ab. Finally in December I managed to start running a little bit but my training was all over the place, one week I'd be near 70 miles the next I would barely get 45. The only small glimmer of hope was the fact that I managed to run a podunk 5k to try and help Chris out to win the prestigious Race Packet series (more to come on this later).
The thing that finally got me set back on track was Coach Centrowitz becoming the coach of the Pacers Elite team. I had actually talked to Coach 4 years ago when I was looking at schools and was trying to run in college. Then for the following four years while I ran at GWU I would see him and his American team working out and at races. The big thing is, I would just be seeing them and not really in a race with them. But who knows, I've started to feel fit again and maybe Coach will get me straight again.......
26.2 The Hard Way
17 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment